24 Including 12 Cops Injured In Bersih 3.0 Rally
Kuala Lumpur – Twenty-four people including 12 policemen on duty were reported injured during the Bersih 3.0 gathering at Dataran Merdeka on April 28.
Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said 512 of the protest rally participants were also arrested on that day.
“All were released on police bail after their statements were recorded. “Later seven demonstrators and two of the policemen on duty were arrested and taken to court.”
Hishammuddin said this in his written reply to almost similar questions on the rally from more than 30 lawmakers, in the Dewan Rakyat today.
He said the Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM) had so far received 165 reports on the Bersih 3.0 gathering and all were being thoroughly investigated before they would be referred to the Attorney-General’s Chambers for further action.
The minister said the government had also filed a civil suit, claiming for compensation of RM122,000 from the rally organisers Datuk S. Ambiga and nine other committee members for failing to control the crowd, resulting in violence.
“The RM122,000 compensation sought is for the cost of repairing the damaged police vehicles, interest, costs and other relief deemed fit by the court.”
On the action against Ambiga and the nine others, he said PDRM had sent the investigation report to the Attorney-General’s Chambers but it had not received any feedback yet.
Hishammuddin said PDRM had deployed 9,274 police officers and policemen for security control around the Klang Valley during the Bersoh 3.0 gathering. – Bernama