Ex-Tourism M’sia D-G Cleared Of Graft Charges
KUALA LUMPUR – Datuk Mirza Mohamad Taiyab was acquitted of graft charges by the KL Sessions Court today as the prosecution failed to prove its case against the former Tourism Malaysia director-general.
He was charged with graft over the agency’s Pempena Sdn Bhd paying RM880,000 to a contractor to open a restaurant in Dubai in 2009, but the project was abandoned and the money was not returned.
Sessions Court judge Che Mohamad Zulkifly Jusoh said the prosecution had failed to prove a prima face case beyond a reasonable doubt on the basis of when the remittance application form was actually signed.
This is the second time he has been cleared of corruption.
In acquitting Mirza, Che Mohamad said the date of the signature on the remittance applications forms needed to make payments to LCL Interior LCL Dubai was unclear.
He also said only two out of the four documents were signed, therefore no case could be brought against the accused.
When the decision was delivered, Mirza supporters in the packed courtroom erupted into cheers and thunderous applause.
Mirza, who was visibly relieved, told reporters he was glad “the whole process has come to an end”.
“I am very thankful,” he said.
Mirza had been jointly charged with former Pempena chief operations officer Mohammad Rosly Selamat.
They were accused of approving payment for the construction of Restaurant Malaysia Dubai in Dubai although conditions were not met.
They were accused of banking the money into the account of LCL Interior LCL Dubai on February 27, 2007.
Previously, the Sessions Court had acquitted Mirza of accepting dental treatment valued at RM13,860 from a director of a consulting company despite knowing the company had dealings with him as the director-general of the Tourism Promotion Board. – TheMalaysianInsider